About Me

Woman, reader, writer, wife, mother of two sons, sister, daughter, aunt, friend, state university professor, historian, Midwesterner by birth but marooned in the South, Chicago Cubs fan, Anglophile, devotee of Bruce Springsteen and the 10th Doctor Who, lover of chocolate and marzipan, registered Democrat, practicing Christian (must practice--can't quite get the hang of it)--and menopausal.
Names have been changed to protect the teenagers. As if.

Wednesday, July 7, 2010

A walk in Cork

Yesterday, a bracing blustery very Irish day, I sauntered across the Lee River bridge. I was feeling fine, better than fine, really downright fantastic: hey, look at me, at home in Cork after less than 24 hours; here I am, taking command of this city, making this place mine; I am Sophisticated Traveler; I am urban and urbane; I am. . . and then a fart suddenly bellowed forth from my nether regions. I kept walking, but at more of a slink than a saunter.

Clearly, however, the gods had determined that I hadn't been punished enough. Pushing on up the hill to the hostel, I found myself walking behind a small boy dancing alongside of what looked to be his grandfather, who was carrying a new scooter. When the boy turned to glance at me, I smiled broadly and nodded in an effort to signal, "Hey, cool! A scooter!" The boy's face crumpled. He ran to his grandfather, clung to his leg, and gasped out something about "that crazy lady."

Good lord. I am not Sophisticated Traveler. I am Scary Crazy Lady. With gas.

No comments:

Post a Comment