About Me

Woman, reader, writer, wife, mother of two sons, sister, daughter, aunt, friend, state university professor, historian, Midwesterner by birth but marooned in the South, Chicago Cubs fan, Anglophile, devotee of Bruce Springsteen and the 10th Doctor Who, lover of chocolate and marzipan, registered Democrat, practicing Christian (must practice--can't quite get the hang of it)--and menopausal.
Names have been changed to protect the teenagers. As if.

Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Cravings

Day 9 of my Month Without Wine.

A friend said, "And don't you feel so much better?"

Well. No.

I'm actually a better person after a glass of wine; it files down some of the sharp bits, slows the pace inside my head, makes me easier and gentler. And besides that, my body just consistently rejects healthiness. I try to eat right and exercise regularly not because it makes me feel better--it never has--but because it makes me look better. I went for a couple years without chocolate (a long, sad, complicated story, centering on my vulva--you don't want to know more) and at some point in there, my sister-in-law exclaimed, "Don't you just look at chocolate now, and think, blecchh?" I could only stare at her in wonder. No, no, I looked at chocolate and thought, "I want you, I need you, I long for you." And when I was pregnant, one of the many manuals I read advised, "Listen to your body. Heed your cravings. They will tell you what you and your baby need." Hmm. Had I followed that advice, I'd have consumed nothing but hazelnut coffee and brownies--the only foods I consistently craved, the only foods that never made me sick--for nine months.

My spirit is low-fat and vitamin-enriched but my flesh craves cake. And Sauvignon Blanc with a citrus finish.

No comments:

Post a Comment