About Me

Woman, reader, writer, wife, mother of two sons, sister, daughter, aunt, friend, state university professor, historian, Midwesterner by birth but marooned in the South, Chicago Cubs fan, Anglophile, devotee of Bruce Springsteen and the 10th Doctor Who, lover of chocolate and marzipan, registered Democrat, practicing Christian (must practice--can't quite get the hang of it)--and menopausal.
Names have been changed to protect the teenagers. As if.

Friday, January 13, 2012

Cats and Funerals

I'm typing this on the less comfy sofa, because the kitties are happily ensconced on the comfy sofa and I don't want to disturb them. This alarms me. I can see that, if I fail to exercise due diligence, I'll become a Crazy Cat Lady.

Crazy Cat Ladies are not, in general, Good People Persons. I am not, by nature, a Good People Person. I have become one through sheer will power. But I grow old. Will power, like everything else, droops these days. I find myself less and less inclined to make the effort. Crazy Cat Ladyhood beckons.

Today, for example, I directed parking at, and attended the funeral of, one of my fellow church members. I didn't know Jack well but I respected him a great deal, and as the funeral wound on, and I learned more and more about him, I realized how much I regretted not knowing him better. I sat there and reflected on previous funerals I'd attended for church folks, and realized I had felt this way many times before--this sense of, "I had no idea" and "Gosh, I'd have loved to talk with him/her about that" and "Shoot, that is so cool--I wish I had known that before." And then the funeral ended and I zipped past the fellowship hall where the reception was being held so that I wouldn't have to talk to anyone. I drove home to my cats.

Keith is a trained Myers Briggs assessment giver and counselor--you know, the personality profile that puts you on a grid of Intuitive/Judging/Sensing/and something else that I can't recall. He's a Myers Briggs cheerleader; as an historian trained to look for the particular and the unique as opposed to the general and universal, I'm a huge skeptic. But I have learned one very valuable thing from M-B: some folks, like Keith, get energy from being with people whereas others, like me, draw energy from solitude and find other people's company to be energy-draining--and (here's the Important Bit): one way is not better than the other; it just helps a lot to know who you are and what you need.

Which is all well and good, until one day you wake up and realize it's just you and a bunch of cats.

No comments:

Post a Comment