About Me

Woman, reader, writer, wife, mother of two sons, sister, daughter, aunt, friend, state university professor, historian, Midwesterner by birth but marooned in the South, Chicago Cubs fan, Anglophile, devotee of Bruce Springsteen and the 10th Doctor Who, lover of chocolate and marzipan, registered Democrat, practicing Christian (must practice--can't quite get the hang of it)--and menopausal.
Names have been changed to protect the teenagers. As if.

Tuesday, April 17, 2012

This, I didn't expect

Hugh said he needed a new shirt for prom. "What about that black shirt you wore to the dance last year?" I asked. He rolled his eyes, disappeared, and returned a few minutes later, with his neck bulging out of a much too-tight collar and six inches of his forearms extending out from the cuffs. "Right," I sighed.

"Hey," he said. "At least I'm not a girl and you don't have to buy an expensive new dress for every dance."

"Well, who says I would?" I asked.

Hugh stared at me, stunned. "What!? Are you serious? You really wouldn't do that, would you? Don't you know how important the dress is for a girl?" I laughed at him. He accused me of child abuse. I got indignant.

And there we were, arguing, fighting, practically pummeling each other over my failure to buy my mythical teenaged daughter a mythical new dress for her mythical prom.

Remember What to Expect When You're Expecting? And What to Expect in the First Year? Someone need to write What to Expect When You're Too Friggin' Tired and He's a Teenager.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like he'll make a great dad for a teenaged girl someday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, absolutely. He lovest to shop!

    ReplyDelete