About Me

Woman, reader, writer, wife, mother of two sons, sister, daughter, aunt, friend, state university professor, historian, Midwesterner by birth but marooned in the South, Chicago Cubs fan, Anglophile, devotee of Bruce Springsteen and the 10th Doctor Who, lover of chocolate and marzipan, registered Democrat, practicing Christian (must practice--can't quite get the hang of it)--and menopausal.
Names have been changed to protect the teenagers. As if.

Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Fire hydrants

When Owen was about 3, he announced that when he grew up, he wanted to be a fire hydrant. "That's great, honey," I said encouragingly, "you'll be a wonderful fireman." He fixed me with his "oh-you-sad-woman" glare, and replied, "I don't want to be a fire man. I want to be a fire hydrant." I blamed Keith's side of the family.

Lately, tho', I've been reconsidering Owen's career ambition, and thinking maybe I dismissed it too hastily. I think I'd like to be a fire hydrant. I look good in red, for one thing. And there's something quite appealing about the idea of a life of squatting on the street corner, stolid, solid, just being, yet at the same time performing an invaluable if little-used function. Of course, there would be the occasional shower of dog pee, but I figure I can handle that. At least when dogs pee on you, they do so with honesty and integrity. No dressing it up with a genial, "Oh, by the way, a quick word, if you don't mind;" no papering it over with labels like "constructive criticism" or "peer review." They just piss, shake, and move on.

I wish I could piss, shake, and move on. But I can't. So I'm aiming for fire hydrant-hood instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment