About Me

Woman, reader, writer, wife, mother of two sons, sister, daughter, aunt, friend, state university professor, historian, Midwesterner by birth but marooned in the South, Chicago Cubs fan, Anglophile, devotee of Bruce Springsteen and the 10th Doctor Who, lover of chocolate and marzipan, registered Democrat, practicing Christian (must practice--can't quite get the hang of it)--and menopausal.
Names have been changed to protect the teenagers. As if.

Saturday, March 20, 2010

Name it

Quite awhile back I watched a movie, the name of which I can no longer recall, that featured several women having a drink in a pub, and one of them was telling the others that for the longest time she thought clitoris was pronounced cli-TOR-is, "like a woman's name." And I was tickled because for the longest time I thought vagina was pronounced veh-JEEN-ah, and that it really did sound like a lovely name for a girl. As does vulva, actually. "Have you met my daughters? This is my eldest, CliTORis, and this is VaGINa, and our the baby of the family, Vulva?" But it's not just specifically female body parts. Divorce rectum from its meaning and just focus on the sounds. Now, isn't that a rugged guy's name? Or urethra. It's quite pretty. I can imagine meeting girls named Tibia and Fibula, or a man named Clavicle.

I mean, it's no more odd than the fact that my classes are now populated by individuals named after cities in Texas--Houston, Austin, Dallas, Tyler. I'm just glad Lubbock never caught on. And then there are all those girls named Reagan.

Keith says we should have named Owen and Hugh "Carter" and "Clinton," just to balance things a bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment