About Me

Woman, reader, writer, wife, mother of two sons, sister, daughter, aunt, friend, state university professor, historian, Midwesterner by birth but marooned in the South, Chicago Cubs fan, Anglophile, devotee of Bruce Springsteen and the 10th Doctor Who, lover of chocolate and marzipan, registered Democrat, practicing Christian (must practice--can't quite get the hang of it)--and menopausal.
Names have been changed to protect the teenagers. As if.

Thursday, September 9, 2010

All's Well That Ends Well

The Daily Show is back on after a weeklong hiatus.

Thank God.

I'll admit it. I'm addicted. I need Jon Stewart. When he's not on, I'm confused and out of sorts. I feel isolated, out-of-touch, uninformed, alienated. Maybe it would be different if I lived in New York or San Francisco or Chicago. Or even New Orleans. But in Baton Rouge. . . I need my daily Daily Show fix.

I do find it somewhat troubling that the dominant voice of reason in our culture is a satirical comedian. But then I think about Shakespeare's comedies, and I figure maybe we're, well, pretty much as fucked up as we've always been. Which gives me hope.

2 comments:

  1. I, too, am addicted.

    I'm sitting here, watching the Megan McCain show from last night and although it is nowhere near his best work, it is amazing how darn good and right and insightful he and all of his writers are.

    I wish it were true that in Chicago one wouldn't need a Jon Stewart, but he is the dominant voice of reason for here, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha! That was actually me but Kristen was still logged in on my computer.

    Also-- I'm friends with Jon on Facebook. Just thought I'd let you know.

    ReplyDelete