About Me

Woman, reader, writer, wife, mother of two sons, sister, daughter, aunt, friend, state university professor, historian, Midwesterner by birth but marooned in the South, Chicago Cubs fan, Anglophile, devotee of Bruce Springsteen and the 10th Doctor Who, lover of chocolate and marzipan, registered Democrat, practicing Christian (must practice--can't quite get the hang of it)--and menopausal.
Names have been changed to protect the teenagers. As if.

Monday, September 13, 2010

"Wha-a-a-at?"

9 am on a Saturday morning. Hugh is at the computer, music blaring. He likes to listen to whatever is his current favorite song over and over and over. This morning it's THUMP--THA--THA--THA--THUMP. . . with a constant refrain of "goddamn bitch."

Can't take it anymore. Demand that he change the song.

Sullen muttering. A moment of silence. Then THA-THA-THA-THUMP-dum-dum-THA-THA-THUMP-dum-dum. . . "Fuckin' nigga!" FUCKIN' NIGGA!"

I totally lose it. "HUGH!! That's it!" I shriek. "You are going to lose computer access for the entire weekend!"

He's dumbfounded. Complete innocence. Utter confusion. "Wha-a-at? I changed the song, just like you said."

I glare at my beautiful black son. "Oh right. As if Id find 'fuckin' nigga' more acceptable than 'goddamn bitch.'"

"Well, I didn't know THAT was your problem. Besides, if you'd just listen, it's a great song-- really socially responsible."

Damn, he's good.

I actually hesitate, doubting myself, for a moment. Then I regain my footing. "Not in THIS house. I will not have that word in this house."

He sighs, deeply, heavily, burdened by the weight of this crazed old lady, this lunatic white woman who dares to be his mother.

2 comments:

  1. My seniors wanted to share with me (in class!) a song whose first line was, "bitch, bitch, bitch." and thought nothing of it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was one that they tried to play today...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAV0XrbEwNc&has_verified=1

    ReplyDelete