About Me

Woman, reader, writer, wife, mother of two sons, sister, daughter, aunt, friend, state university professor, historian, Midwesterner by birth but marooned in the South, Chicago Cubs fan, Anglophile, devotee of Bruce Springsteen and the 10th Doctor Who, lover of chocolate and marzipan, registered Democrat, practicing Christian (must practice--can't quite get the hang of it)--and menopausal.
Names have been changed to protect the teenagers. As if.

Friday, August 19, 2011

Astigmatized

Annual eye check-up today. Sick and tired of hunting for reading glasses (which, let me hasten to point out, I need only when I have my contacts in--when my contacts aren't in, I can read just fine--'course my contaccts are always in because without them I can't see more than a foot in front of me but hey, nothing actually wrong with my reading vision, dammit, I'm not that old, I'm just near-sighted, like all us nerdy young people), I demanded those new omni-vision disposable soft contact lenses--the ones that  combine close-up, medium, and far-away vision--you can see everything all the time and then you just throw the damn things away and pop in a new pair.

So my friends tell me.

I wouldn't know. My eye doctor won't let me have them. Apparently my astigmatism is too pronounced. I'm doomed to reading glasses--to the fruitless rummaging through my handbag only to remember that of course I took that pair out at breakfast, to having to ask Keith read restaurant menus aloud to me, to having to stop lectures and ask students what time it is because I can't see the numbers on my watch or  my cell phone, to apologizing at meetings because I can't read the agenda, to gormlessly squinting at receipts trying to decipher where I'm supposed to sign. . . . to being a friggin' totally annoying utterly stereotypical old lady. Sigh.

1 comment:

  1. A. You should try these-- they're actually pretty hip in the Chicago set.

    https://impulseclics.com/shop/index.php?cPath=662

    B. I emailed you re: employment!

    ReplyDelete