About Me

Woman, reader, writer, wife, mother of two sons, sister, daughter, aunt, friend, state university professor, historian, Midwesterner by birth but marooned in the South, Chicago Cubs fan, Anglophile, devotee of Bruce Springsteen and the 10th Doctor Who, lover of chocolate and marzipan, registered Democrat, practicing Christian (must practice--can't quite get the hang of it)--and menopausal.
Names have been changed to protect the teenagers. As if.

Thursday, March 1, 2012

Check List

So, I thought I was completely au courant on the whole aging thing. I thought I had the comprehensive "To Do As One Grows Old" list:
  • prod boobs for lumps and bumps
  • make sure one's moles remain nicely small and circular
  • endure a colonoscopy now and then
  • watch one's gums for signs of recession
  • beware of new scaly spots on one's skin
  • radically reduce one's consumption of fat, sugar, alcohol, caffeine, and every other fun thing
  • get regular Paps
  • monitor one's weight, heart rate, blood pressure, cholesterol, and whatever else one can assign a number to
  • interlace one's fingers with one's toes for a few minutes every day to avoid toe overlap
  • walk
  • stretch
  • exercise
  • breathe
Pretty comprehensive list, right? No, wrong. Turns out one must add a new bulletpoint:
  • watch out for one's eyelashes
I had no idea. Then my mother-in-law called. She's been struggling for a couple of months with what she thought was dry eyes. Just constant irritation and itching--incredibly annoying and distracting. But the problem lay not in her eye's liquidity, but rather, in her treasonous eyelashes. They're turning inward and scratching her eye. So, she explained as I listened in growing nausea, the eye doctor gave her a shot in her eye--yes, he stuck a needle in her eye while she sat there in the office, fully conscious, without pain killers or laughing gas or weed or geez, even Tylenol--and then put several stitches in her eyelid to keep it from curling under.

Good lord. I had no idea such a future lurked. I've always been rather fond of my eyelashes. They're long and thick and curly. And--now I know--they're just waiting to turn on me.

No comments:

Post a Comment