About Me

Woman, reader, writer, wife, mother of two sons, sister, daughter, aunt, friend, state university professor, historian, Midwesterner by birth but marooned in the South, Chicago Cubs fan, Anglophile, devotee of Bruce Springsteen and the 10th Doctor Who, lover of chocolate and marzipan, registered Democrat, practicing Christian (must practice--can't quite get the hang of it)--and menopausal.
Names have been changed to protect the teenagers. As if.

Tuesday, February 28, 2012

On Not Partying with the Cool Kids

Drinking, smoking, drugging, having sex--American teens are doing less of this stuff than ever before. (No, really, it's true; check it out: http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/02/02/the-kids-are-more-than-all-right/ ) As a mom of teenaged boys, I'm happy about this.

As a former teenager, I'm pissed as hell.

As a teen, I didn't drink. Didn't smoke. Didn't do drugs. Didn't have sex. Didn't even swear. And of course I was a total dweeb and wildly unpopular, which just went with the Good Girl territory. Standard issue back then: Girl Who Doesn't = Girl Who Isn't. But I soldiered on, knowing I'd be better off some day. And fine, I am, I guess; one can recover and live a satisfied, productive life even if one never got to hang with the cool kids.  Except now I discover that teens today can be good AND normal. Good AND popular. Good AND cool, even. Good grief. Life is so unfair.

No comments:

Post a Comment