About Me

Woman, reader, writer, wife, mother of two sons, sister, daughter, aunt, friend, state university professor, historian, Midwesterner by birth but marooned in the South, Chicago Cubs fan, Anglophile, devotee of Bruce Springsteen and the 10th Doctor Who, lover of chocolate and marzipan, registered Democrat, practicing Christian (must practice--can't quite get the hang of it)--and menopausal.
Names have been changed to protect the teenagers. As if.

Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Losing

Here it comes.

I can feel the shift in air pressure, the slight sense of movement beneath my feet, something akilter, something sliding, slippiing, giving way.

I know what' s happening. I'm intimately acquainted with the process. This should all be old hat, routine, no big deal.

So I do what I know needs to be done. I make sure I'm eating right. I set up an exercise routine. I resume my church attendance. I email old friends. I call my sister. I re-read my best-loved books. I make love to my husband. Carefully, consciously, mindfully, I erect the barricades, shore up the defences, solidify the walls.

But it's all pointless. I do know that. How could I not know that? Depression doesn't mount a frontal assault. It's not an attacking army. It's more like a poisonous gas; it floats over and gently, insidiously, unstoppably wends its way down; it curls up in the junctures; it lingers; it accumulates; it deadens.

It wins.

No comments:

Post a Comment