About Me

Woman, reader, writer, wife, mother of two sons, sister, daughter, aunt, friend, state university professor, historian, Midwesterner by birth but marooned in the South, Chicago Cubs fan, Anglophile, devotee of Bruce Springsteen and the 10th Doctor Who, lover of chocolate and marzipan, registered Democrat, practicing Christian (must practice--can't quite get the hang of it)--and menopausal.
Names have been changed to protect the teenagers. As if.

Thursday, May 20, 2010

The Magic Words

I have found the key, the charm, the magic words for parenting teenaged sons. A short phrase, just four simple syllables:

Bikini wax.

No, you don't threaten them with it. You just say it.

Yesterday Owen telephoned, and we were chatting away when suddenly I remembered I had a 3:30 waxing appointment. "I'm sorry to cut you short, hon," said I, "but I have to go or I'll be late for my bikini wax." A groan emanated from the other end of the line. "Oh, oh, geez, why'd you actually have to say it? Why'd you have to ruin a perfectly good conversation?"

Hmm.

Then I hollered goodbye up to Hugh. "Yo, Hugh, I'm off."
"What? Where ya goin'?" (He always responds as if it's unthinkable I should ever actually have any place to go.)
"Bikini wax," I shouted.
"Ohh, that is so disgusting. I think I'm gonna be sick."

So there you have it. Two little words to fling at them whenever they're driving you nuts. Four seemingly innocuous yet oh-so-powerful syllables, and they're whimpering.

I wonder how they'd respond to Brazilian.

No comments:

Post a Comment