About Me

Woman, reader, writer, wife, mother of two sons, sister, daughter, aunt, friend, state university professor, historian, Midwesterner by birth but marooned in the South, Chicago Cubs fan, Anglophile, devotee of Bruce Springsteen and the 10th Doctor Who, lover of chocolate and marzipan, registered Democrat, practicing Christian (must practice--can't quite get the hang of it)--and menopausal.
Names have been changed to protect the teenagers. As if.

Friday, January 21, 2011

The horror! The horror!

Lately my dreams have been dominated by food and poop. I think I'm regressing to infancy. I blame menopause: It reduces a complex, sophisticated, multi-faceted woman to, well, to an animal, a very advanced animal, a bundle of physicalness. Hot flashes and inexplicable weight gain and hair loss and the absence of moisture and lubrication in areas that really need a bit of wetness--suddenly all of life is a matter of The Body.

Me? I'm more of a Mind Person. I wasn't one of those "in-touch-with-primal-earthiness" pregnant women. I just longed to have my body back under control. And sex--yes, the body's certainly there but if the mind's not, well, might as well forget it. Yoga and meditation and relaxation techniques, all those "release the mind" activities? Total failure. For me, this whole menopausal journey back into the body is like Marlow's journey up the Congo into the Heart of Darkness.

"The horror! The horror!"

No comments:

Post a Comment