About Me

Woman, reader, writer, wife, mother of two sons, sister, daughter, aunt, friend, state university professor, historian, Midwesterner by birth but marooned in the South, Chicago Cubs fan, Anglophile, devotee of Bruce Springsteen and the 10th Doctor Who, lover of chocolate and marzipan, registered Democrat, practicing Christian (must practice--can't quite get the hang of it)--and menopausal.
Names have been changed to protect the teenagers. As if.

Monday, January 17, 2011

I Don't Speak American

Like every other at least semi-sentient person in the United States this past week, I've been thinking a lot about guns. Once again a horrific mass shooting. Once again the debate over guns and "gun rights" heats up. It's a debate I opted out of long ago. I can't remember ever struggling with this issue. I came to political consciousness at age 13 and I was then and I have always remained a strong supporter of the strict regulation of hunting and sporting weapons, as well as a complete ban on private handguns and all assault-style weapons and ammunition. Clearly I am a European soul trapped in an American body--and so I've stopped participating in this ongoing American conversation. I just don't speak the language. And I don't want to.

I know that I am wrong. I know that in his superb address last week President Obama called on us to "broaden our moral imaginations"--and I think that means he's asking us to imagine ourselves on the other side, to try to see the world through another's eyes, and so to find common ground. He's right, I know that. And I know that's what my Christian faith demands as well. Jesus, I think it's safe to say, had a very broad moral imagination. But I do not want even to try to imagine being a person who would hear the news from Tucson and then would rush out to buy magazine clips that can fire 30 shots in a few seconds, the type the shooter used, just in case a miracle happens and the NRA allows them to be banned.

So, don't bother sending me phrase books or suggesting I try one of those immersion courses. Don't send me translations. I don't understand you. And I don't want to try to talk to you. I'll just go my way now. Sorry, no, no, I'm sorry. I can't help you. I don't speak American.

No comments:

Post a Comment