About Me

Woman, reader, writer, wife, mother of two sons, sister, daughter, aunt, friend, state university professor, historian, Midwesterner by birth but marooned in the South, Chicago Cubs fan, Anglophile, devotee of Bruce Springsteen and the 10th Doctor Who, lover of chocolate and marzipan, registered Democrat, practicing Christian (must practice--can't quite get the hang of it)--and menopausal.
Names have been changed to protect the teenagers. As if.

Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Not intended to be a factual statement

So by now everyone has heard about Arizona Senator Jon Kyl defending his allegation that abortions account for "90% of what Planned Parenthood does" (the actual figure is 3%)by saying that his claim was "not intended to be a factual statement."

I feel so inspired. I've been incredibly anxious lately, wondering how in the world I am going to complete everything I've contracted to do, as well as my regular job. Now I know. I spend all this time making sure that what I teach my students reflects the latest and best research in modern European history. Well, shit. Now I realize I can just make it up. I mean, really, what's my ultimate aim? Is it that they accumulate a bunch of facts about European history? Of course not. That's what the internet is for. I'm endeavoring 1)to teach them how to analyze and to think critically, and 2) to foster good citzenship, to make them care about the world and their place in it. So who needs "factual statements"? Gosh, why didn't I figure this out long ago? I guess that's why we have leaders like Jon Kyl. Thank you, Senator.

No comments:

Post a Comment