About Me

Woman, reader, writer, wife, mother of two sons, sister, daughter, aunt, friend, state university professor, historian, Midwesterner by birth but marooned in the South, Chicago Cubs fan, Anglophile, devotee of Bruce Springsteen and the 10th Doctor Who, lover of chocolate and marzipan, registered Democrat, practicing Christian (must practice--can't quite get the hang of it)--and menopausal.
Names have been changed to protect the teenagers. As if.

Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Sometimes it all works out

Ahh. Great Parenting Moments.

The other night Hugh told me to shut up. Consequence (delivered in firm, even, "there's nothing you can do that can upset me or ever stop me loving you" tone. . . yah, who's kidding who. . . picture a shrieking harridan with crazy hair and you've pretty much got it): loss of beloved iPhone for 24 hours.

Ten hours later: it's 6:30 am; Hugh's school ride is at the door; he has high-stakes testing all day; and he insists he has to have his phone. I point out that he can't use his phone at school, let alone during testing. He says, sheepishly, charmingly, self-deprecatingly, "I know, I know, it's really dumb and it sounds nuts but it's like my security blanket. If my phone's not in my pocket, I can't think about anything else. I freak out. I really need it today."

I fall for it. It's just crazy enough that I fall for it. And of course, five minutes after he's left I'm thinking, for pete's sake, what did I just do? How's he ever going to learn anything? He needs me to be consistent. etc. etc. etc.

In the midst of testing that day, Hugh's phone alarm goes off and disturbs the whole auditorium. Amazingly, his test results are not voided but his phone is confiscated. For the rest of the school year.

When he tells me, I burst out laughing. Justice.

No comments:

Post a Comment