About Me

Woman, reader, writer, wife, mother of two sons, sister, daughter, aunt, friend, state university professor, historian, Midwesterner by birth but marooned in the South, Chicago Cubs fan, Anglophile, devotee of Bruce Springsteen and the 10th Doctor Who, lover of chocolate and marzipan, registered Democrat, practicing Christian (must practice--can't quite get the hang of it)--and menopausal.
Names have been changed to protect the teenagers. As if.

Sunday, June 13, 2010

Dull

It's been a headachey week. I suppose that seems an odd thing for a person with "Chronic Daily Headache" (yes, that's the official name) to say; I mean, surely every week is a headachey week for a person with CDH (no, that's not a common abbreviation--I just made it up). True--but there are headachey weeks--weeks when I'm a person with daily headaches--and then there are headachey weeks--weeks when I'm a headache with an occasional outburst of personhood. This week was the latter.

I really hate being That Person Who Always Has a Headache. People get impatient. The first time you bow out of something, they're sympathetic. The second time too. But by the third, the fourth, well, then, you're just dull. I hate being dull.

But that's what chronic headaches do. They grind and grind and grind away, until all one's sharpness and shine is gone. Until one is just simply, utterly dull.

One of my mom's favorite sayings (she has a saying for most occasions) is, "Pain will make you either better or bitter." She never warned me that it can also make you really boring.

No comments:

Post a Comment