About Me

Woman, reader, writer, wife, mother of two sons, sister, daughter, aunt, friend, state university professor, historian, Midwesterner by birth but marooned in the South, Chicago Cubs fan, Anglophile, devotee of Bruce Springsteen and the 10th Doctor Who, lover of chocolate and marzipan, registered Democrat, practicing Christian (must practice--can't quite get the hang of it)--and menopausal.
Names have been changed to protect the teenagers. As if.

Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Leaks

I'm leaking.

I'm not yet 50 and I'm leaking. This is ridiculous.

All I have to do is realize, "Oh, I need to pee," and I leak. Or sometimes I'm just standing there, and all of a sudden, there's a dribble. It's not yet peeing in my pants, but I have no doubt that will come.

And I think this disturbing new sign of physical decay and degradation speaks, metaphorically, to my ongoing intellectual decline. I'm leaking mentally as well. It's not a gusher yet, not even a steady drip--but everyday there's a dribble here, a sudden spurt there, and bit by bit I can feel my brain drying up, beginning to crack and flake.

On the bright side: maybe by the time I need adult diapers, I'll be too far gone mentally to know it. So that should be ok, then.

No comments:

Post a Comment