About Me

Woman, reader, writer, wife, mother of two sons, sister, daughter, aunt, friend, state university professor, historian, Midwesterner by birth but marooned in the South, Chicago Cubs fan, Anglophile, devotee of Bruce Springsteen and the 10th Doctor Who, lover of chocolate and marzipan, registered Democrat, practicing Christian (must practice--can't quite get the hang of it)--and menopausal.
Names have been changed to protect the teenagers. As if.

Thursday, June 10, 2010

I changed my mind

Despite a raging headache, a Hurricane Katrina of a headache, I dragged myself to the office yesterday. Had a full plate. Much to do. Deadlines. Important stuff. Oh, not really. Actually, totally stupid, waste-of-time-but-you-have-to-do-it-anyway stuff. But lots of it.

Two hours in the office, and I realize if I don't go put my head on ice, the consequences will be severe. At least for me.

So, back to my car I schlep, which means walking past the LSU Indian Mounds. Yep, real Indians. Real mounds. At least 5,000 years old, these grass-covered mounds spring up like gigantic scoops of ice cream in the middle of the campus. Here in the flatlands of south Louisiana, these mounds serve as a magnet for kids; running up them and rolling on down is a key part of any Baton Rouge childhood. Not surprisingly, then, even with the 100-degree temperatures yesterday, kids dotted the mounds.

As I walked by, a little girl about 4-years-old came careening down and yelling,
"I changed my mind! I changed my mind! I want to be a PRINCESS!!"

Yeah. What she said.

No comments:

Post a Comment